Lenox Executive Search has a client in the Boston area seeking a postdoctoral fellow to join it's Process Chemistry group.
(The role is a 1-year contract to start with the possibility of extending/converting.)
- Apply engineering, mathematical and programming skills to develop new process unit operation and equipment models relevant to synthetic molecule Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API).
- Provides theoretical/conceptual input to the different stages of process development and optimization based on simulations results and establish new workflows for process development of future.
- Establish the systems engineering as a key factor to enhance speed, quality and flexibility in API development and manufacturing from early candidate selection through to commercial application.
- Proactively identifies technical issues/challenges and proposes potential resolutions and develop novel approaches geared to enhance efficiency of process understanding, development, and optimization.
- Stays current on emerging technological trends and external communities related to process modelling, data science, data engineering, computational process development, and advanced process control.
- Designs, builds, and deploys industry-leading predictive models (empirical, first principle, and/or hybrid) to support optimization of control loops, platform performance and process development workflows to advance pipeline programs and innovation initiatives.
- Utilizes first principle and data driven models to construct process digital twins that will enable the digital exploration and optimization of the API development space:
- Design model based experimental strategies
- Develop reaction kinetic models to drive reaction engineering activities
- Develop computational fluid dynamics (CFD) models of liquid-liquid systems across scales.
- Apply expertise in thermodynamics and kinetics to deliver modeling across key unit operations of the API domains (Vapor Liquid Equilibrium, Liquid Liquid Extraction, solubility, solid state and chemical)
- Develop crystallization models to support intermediate and API process development
- Develops and verifies Digital Twins for batch and continuous API processes.
- Understands project timelines and deliverables and plans/coordinates project work accordingly with departmental, functional and external stakeholders
- Serves as a technical resource for PharmSci staff and leverages expertise in Digital CMC as a functional resource/trainer.
- Independently designs experiments to generate model input data and validate models
- Assists with development of project strategy and communicates complex data/decisions within department and cross functionally as necessary
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- PhD in Mathematics, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related pharmaceutical science and 0+ years relevant process modeling experience
- Excellent knowledge of chemical engineering principles, process modeling, process control and optimization methodologies including: reaction kinetics, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, heat and mass transport and engineering statistics.
- Proven track record (published manuscripts, invited talks, book chapter contributions,…) developing complex mechanistic models to support process simulation
- Experience creating models using gPROMS, Aspen, DynoChem, Matlab, Python or similar programming languages
- An innovator, proposing novel approaches to challenging scientific questions and exploring new modeling approaches
- Experience in multivariate analysis, statistical and deep learning methodologies a plus
- Experience in working in a multi-disciplinary team environment
Knowledge and Skills:
- Analytical and Problem Solving Skills - Able to troubleshoot critical issues or problems, and determine causes and possible solutions
- Teamwork -- Ability to work well in highly cross functional team environment and across global line functions.
- Communication Skills -Able to expresses one’s self clearly and concisely within team; documents issues and/or concerns concisely with colleagues; adjusts communication style as appropriate for the audience; timely and effectively communicates issues to supervisor; technical writing skills to support authorship of internal technical documents
- Organization – Exercises good time management and prioritization skills and is able to successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Knowledge Sharing - Ability to capture organizational knowledge; improve solutions, processes, and deliverables through use of information; improve information capital by contributing experience, theories, deliverables, and models for others to use
- Resource Management -Ability to manage one’s time within individual, departmental, and corporate goals and timelines; management of internal and external resources
- External Involvement – Demonstrated involvement in professional community evidenced by presentation of scientific posters or lectures at professional conferences or events
- Technical - Subject matter expertise and knowledge of applicable lab equipment and operations
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: $78,000.00 - $81,000.00 per year
- Chemistry, manufacturing & controls: 2 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location